Marshall Municipal Utilities
"Providing Hometown Reliability"
We at Marshall Municipal Utilities want you to be careful near electricity. Although
this important power cannot be seen, smelled or heard, it can be felt. One touch can
be deadly. Enjoy electricity's benefits, but please heed these safety rules:
- When buying electrical equipment or appliances, always look for the Underwriters
Laboratories seal of approval and make sure it applies to the entire appliance,
not just the plug or cord.
- Do not run cords behind radiators, under carpets, through doorways, around pipes,
or near metal products.
- When working outside, avoid contact with overhead power lines or exposed wires.
Be careful when installing CB antennas or towers. Improperly installed antennas
might topple and cause power outages, injuries and even death.
- Check all extension and appliance cords frequently to be sure they are not worn or
frayed. If they are, replace them immediately. Don't patch a broken cord.
- Always unplug small electrical appliances after using them. Even when the switch
says "off" power is still present, and appliances can electrocute you if they contact
- Do not plug power tools or heavy appliances into a lamp socket. Plug them into a
wall outlet. Lamp cords are not made to carry a heavy electrical load.
- Do not pull a plug from a wall outlet by the cord. Grasp the plug itself and pull
it straight out.
- Do not plug too many appliances into one socket. Wires may overheat, destroy
insulation, and cause a fire.
- If you have doubts about appliance grounding, cord sizes, or other electrical
questions, check with a licensed electrician.
- Fly kites only in open fields, away from electric wires. Do not use wire, metal
or wet string on a kite. If your kite catches in a wire or on a high pole, don't
try to remove it--call MMU. Don't use metal in making a kite. Don't fly kites
on or near a public highway. Don't fly a kite in wet or stormy weather.
- Be sure tools and appliances are properly grounded. A three-prong plug used in a
two-wire receptacle must have an adapter. Connect the "pigtail" wire on the adapter
to the metal screw on the outlet cover plate to get grounding protection. Never
use a tool or appliance with a two-wire connection outdoors or in a damp location.
- Never use an electrical appliance near a tub or sink. If an appliance falls into water,
DO NOT reach for it. Immediately unplug it from the wall outlet.
- Improper handling of electrical appliances can cause fire. Don't let wires overheat.
Disconnect if there are any sparks. All electrical wires are designed to carry only
a certain amount of electricity. Overloading them causes them to overheat, gradually
destroys the insulation, and can create a hazard. Turn off any appliance that smokes
or stops running.
- To prevent overheating, make sure the cord is large enough to carry the electricity
necessary to operate the tool or appliance. Heavy duty extension cords should be
used with portable tools and other heavy duty appliances--never ordinary lamp
- Never touch, kick, pull or attempt to pick up a fallen wire. Even a telephone wire
could be deadly if tangled with a power line some distance away. Notify MMU and
keep other people away until utility repair people arrive.
- Have at least one fire extinguisher handy for home fires.
Remember, these safety tips are not all inclusive. Always be careful around electricity.